What do we need
We are looking for an enthusiastic and creative candidate with a PhD in immunology, virology, or (lung) organoid research and a strong interest in vaccinology. Being familiar with advanced cell culture techniques and experience in working with human pathogenic viruses will be regarded as an asset. You will work with material derived from patients with respiratory diseases from our hospital and you will get experience in organoid culture, virus infection, and the assessment of infection-induced changes in morphology and physiology by advanced microscopical techniques, gene expression profiling and other multiparametric techniques. The Department of Molecular Pharmacology has ample experience in generating and characterizing lung organoids and has all the contacts in the hospital to obtain the required patient material. The Vaccinology Group provides extensive knowledge on influenza virus and influenza virus-specific immune responses and has all required immunological assays up and running.
- A PhD in immunology, virology or in vitro tissue modeling (e.g. organoid research).
- Strong affinity with vaccinology and the desire to contribute creatively to this field.
- Experience with primary cell cultures and functional immunological assays.
- Experience with multiplex assays, (functional) antibody assays, and/or multiplex flow cytometry is desirable.
- Experience with novel data analysis approaches/bioinformatics is an advantage.
- Excellent skills in English (oral and writing).
- Team player with affinity to work in a big international consortium.
- Creative and pro-active in generating and solving scientific questions.
The UMCG has a preventive Hepatitis B policy. The UMCG can provide you with the vaccination, should it be required for your position.
In case of specific professions a ‘Certificate of Good Conduct’ is required.
What do we offer
A dynamic position in an enthusiastic team with dedicated researchers for the duration of initially two years years with the possibility of extension, depending on performance and available funding, for an additional 3 years.
The position is for 0.8 full time equivalents. Your salary will be a maximum of € 4.615,- gross per month (scale 10), depending on your qualifications and relevant experience. In addition, the UMCG will offer you 8% holiday pay and 8.3% end-of-year bonus. The terms of employment comply with the Collective Labour Agreement for Medical Centers (CAO-UMC).
How to apply
Please use the the digital application form at the bottom of this page - only these will be processed. You can apply until October 17, 2021.
Full applications including a motivation letter, curriculum vitae, and two contacts for professional reference letters will receive full consideration.
Within half an hour after sending the digital application form you will receive an email- confirmation with further information.